Sunday, June 20, 2010

Smartboard or No Smartboard?

Since I am not a teacher at this moment, and have never used a smart board, it is really hard for me to argue these points. I understand why some people feel as though it is a waste of money, but I also see how cool it would be to have one in a classroom. I spoke with a kindergarten teacher, Lori Beth Graham, who absolutely loves using a smart board in her classroom. She states that one can use the smart board across the curriculum to teach and reinforce strategies and skills. I have watched some videos and researched some on the use of smart boards, so I would have to agree with her. The only drawback that I can see would be the cost. Here are two links I found supporting the use of smart boards.

Click Hereto view the Teachers Love Smart Boards.

Click Hereto give ideas on how to use the smart boards effectively.

1 comment:

  1. I will repeat what I wrote for James Marshall since it also applies to you:
    Way to go! It is always good to take a look at both sides of an issue as you have done. I am not sure that you are correct that these two skeptics are skeptics because of lack of use. Rather it is their teaching philosophies that form their concerns. SMARTBoards most often become ways for teachers to use "canned" programs that often reduce the possibilities for teacher and student creativity. But anything that engages the student is good. Kelly Hines says they should be used as "student tools" not "teacher tools." I think the money would be better spent giving the students their own tools to use in and out of school. But they are in Baldwin and Mobile schools so our task is now to figure out how they can be used most effectively and creatively. And you are part of that process!

    ReplyDelete