Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Assignment #6

This Is How We Dream: Part 1 & 2

Once again, I am blown away by another video. Richard Miller's presentation was not like any other presentation that I've ever seen! He has the vision and I believe his vision will come true. I'm not sure when it will happen, but I believe a new "world" is about to "breakthrough" and I'm so excited that I may be a part of it! I really enjoyed watching these two videos. I thought I was in good shape learning what a blog was and how to post on this blog, as well as other blogs. I was wrong. There is a whole world out there that needs to be explored.

I think Richard Miller is on the right track exploring that "new world". His idea about the new building is phenomenal. I agree with him on the fact that there is no space for this type of learning. I believe there will be with the way that the technology world is moving, but there isn't right now. It would be so interesting to be able to teach this type of material to students. If I were the teacher, I would be learning right along with my students.

There are so many different things to do on the web: projects, blogs, speeches, games, videos. It is impossible to know everything about the web and what we can do. That is the coolest part! That's why I believe that while being a teacher you are learning as well. Am I prepared to write with multimedia? Absolutely not. Am I willing to learn? Absolutely so. Will my students be able to do this? We will do this together. As I said, I will learn with my students and we will share what we learn with the world.


The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

This video was very creative! It is amazing how the education world is changing. As of this point, I do not think I am ready to be a networked teacher. I know, I better get ready! There are so many students who know so much more about this "world" than I do. I need to catch up! I think the idea of a networked teacher is great, but I think there needs to be some sort of variation as well. I do not necessarily want to sit in front of a computer all day and have my 1st grade class do the same. I want to have a variety of different learning avenues for my students.

Don't get me wrong, I intend to incorporate the use of technology as much as possible in my classroom with different projects. I just do not really want the learning experience to be solely based on computers. I am a hands on type learner. I want to be a hands on type teacher as well.

I am beginning to understand the importance of the use of technology, especially in the classroom. I am excited about the technology that will be available when I become a teacher. As I stated earlier, I want to learn with my students. I want to be there when they have questions and be able to answer them with confidence. I believe I am working towards that goal and am excited to strive to reach the finish line.


Toward a new future of Whatever: Michael Wesch

I enjoyed this video as well! I think Michael Wesch did a fabulous job of conveying this information. I would love to sit in his class and experience him as a teacher. This video was very informative as well as entertaining. Knowing that I have already put a video on Youtube and am in the process of putting another video on Youtube, I can relate to the students who are sitting there talking to a camera. It is funny to see where we were 10 years ago and how far we've come. It will be really neat to see where we will go from here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie!
    I too realized that I was not ready to be a networked teacher after viewing all of the materials, but I do like the fact that you wanted to become prepared. Most teachers would shy away at the thought of having to learn something else new, but you seem very enthusiastic. Those are the kind of teachers we need in the education system. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analysis Kate.

    I agree a new world is breaking through and we are a part of it now. As one other student commented there is a revolution going on with all of this digital technology. Never before have teachers had so many tools at their disposal. What Dr. Miller is doing, writing with multimedia is a good example.

    These are exciting times for educators. There are so many who focus on what is wrong with education in America I think they forget to take a look at the good things that are developing. Your enthusiasm about learning with your students will serve you well as a teacher. Hang on to it no matter what.

    Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Wesch's video was one of my favorites in this class. I particularly liked the project where people wrote something on their hands that would inspire the world and cause change. I did my own version and posted the picture on my blog. I would love to do this project with my students in order to see things from their point of view, where they think that our society has problems, and what they would do to enact change.

    I appreciate the depth you went to in your discussion of these videos. I don't know if you plan to continue blogging after this course, but if it's something you're considering, I would love to follow your blog!

    Thanks,
    Laura Ashley

    ReplyDelete