Sunday, June 27, 2010

Randy Pausch

Randy Pausch's attitude on life was so encouraging. He was extremely sick but did not let that get him down and depressed. That amazed me because I do not think I could have had that attitude. This video was very informative and entertaining. Randy Pausch was a very good speaker. He used a lot of pictures and power point to tell his story about his childhood dreams. Not only was he an informative speaker, he was also a motivational speaker! His determination for the things he wanted to do is contagious.
I would have loved to be in Mr. Pausch's class. He basically told his students what the assignment was, but then he left it up to them to design their project. In a way, that would be really hard, but I think that is a great way to learn. When a teacher leaves the details of the assignment up to the student to figure out, it makes the student step up and learn for themselves. Too many students are being "spoonfed" in the schools today. The beauty of the way Mr. Pausch left the details up to his students, is that they were forced to use their creative minds to design their projects. I think what makes a good teacher is one who knows how to let students think for themselves. There is no need for someone to stand up in front of the class all day and not allow the students to use their brains for themselves. I think Randy Pausch was very successful at teaching his students something that they probably would have never had the opportunity to learn. He allowed them to have fun while learning and creating something so exciting. That it what it is all about. He set his goals high and achieved them. I think that is incredibly remarkable. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I agree with you on the issue that too many students are being "spponfed" in today's school systems. I think Pausch did a wonderful thing by calling on his students to think for themselves. I think that this is rare because, educators try to stifle creativity in children at such a young learning age, but then they act surprised when they have a high school classroom full of robots who just want to be told what to do! I liked you view on this! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete