Monday, June 7, 2010

Assignment #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

This video definitely captures my college experience, at least for the first few semesters. It's amazing how the class size diminishes as the semester unfolds. I never have understood how people can pay so much money and never even go to class. My first few semesters were relatively easy as far as the work load but I still went to class. I would always tell myself the professor may give bonus points! I'm not going to lie and say that going to class was and is easy, but I know how much classes cost and I feel like I'm wasting my by not going to class.

I really liked how the producers used random students in random ways to present the facts. It was incredibly interesting and I found myself anticipating the next piece of paper or laptop screen. I have never been the one to take my computer to class, so I can not relate to those who do other things on the laptop while in class. I can relate however to checking Facebook or talking on the cell phone on a regular basis. I think it is amazing how we get so attached to the new technology around us. I recently bought a new computer and I am absolutely fascinated by all the many things I can do. This video was a great representation of college life and should be mandatory for college freshman to watch.

It's Not About the Technology by Kelly Hines

While reading this post, I could not help but to think about teachers I have had over the years who did not understand the material they were trying to teach me and my classmates. I think it is so important for we as future teachers to grasp the concepts of the material before we try and teach our future students. I am not a very technology literate person but I am eager and willing to learn in hopes that one day I will be. Then I can help my students to explore the world of technology as I have done. I agree with Kelly Hines in the fact that teachers have to be learners. It is imperative that we get this before we get to the classroom.

If we, as future teachers, can understand that technology is not what makes a great teacher but that willingness, patience, and eagerness makes one, then we can use technology in the classroom to help convey what we are trying to teach. The use of technology in the classroom is going to continue to thrive. I can not wait to see what new things mankind can develop in the years to come.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I really enjoyed reading this post. Like I have said before, I am not technologically literate. I believe that it is imperative to be technologically literate in today's society. I liked Mr. Fisch's last comment about the comparison with not being a technologically literate teacher and a teacher of 30 years who can not read and write. I am so glad I have been given the opportunity to take this class. It has opened my eyes tremendously to the world around me.

I think Karl Fisch did a great job expressing his thoughts. I agree with him that in order to teach students how to be technologically literate, you as a teacher have to be as well. I think there is a difference in being technologically literate and knowing how to use a computer. I look forward to finding out more about how to become a technologically literate teacher!

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

This absolutely took my breath away. I could not even get past the first category: the number of blog posts. I thought to myself as I saw that number continue to rise "I just posted on 3 blogs." I was a part of that number. Before this class, I have never blogged or really knew what blogging meant. I feel as though I have been living under a rock for 23 years! This website threw me for a loop, especially the number of searches made on Google.

These numbers are a good representation of how fast our society is accepting the new technologies of today's time. This is going to effect my teaching career tremendously. As long as new computers, ipods, phones, etc. continue to come out every few weeks, technology will continue to grow. I am excited but also nervous about the future of technology. I am glad I have had my eyes opened to this "world" now before it would be too late!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,

    If you have time I think you should watch the first video again and think of it from a different perspective. Try to look at it as the teachers are not keeping up with the technology that the students are using instead of the kids are doing things in class that they shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have commented on Dr. Wesch and his students' video by addressing what it had to say from a student's point of the view. The video also offered a scathing critique of the way our current educational system operates. You did not comment from that perspective at all. What are your thoughts on what the video had to say, explicitly and implicitly, about teaching and learning?
    You hit the nail on the head when you say we must all be learners. You have started on a journey that will never end!

    ReplyDelete