Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Assignment #5

Why have I not been introduced to podcasts before now? Reading and listening to these different sites opened up a whole new world for me! I think these could be so useful in the "teaching realm". The fun thing about podcasts is that you get to be creative and talk about whatever you want and you do not even have to be on video! That means you can wear your pj's and make a podcast! How fun is that??
I am excited about continuing to learn more about podcasting and all the many different things to listen to. There were several sites that I went to that really stuck out to me. I really enjoyed going to each of these sites and browsing to see what all I could find.

My favorite was "The Judy Scharf Podcast Collection". I really liked how she had the link to youtube to watch how to make your own podcast. That was very helpful to me. I also liked how she had the separate file that stated "Benefits of Podcasting in Education." I have never thought of the points that she made. One of the points she made was that the students can make up missed classes. When I was in elementary school, I became very sick and had to miss a lot of school. It was incredibly hard for me to make up all my work. Thankfully, my teacher understood the situation and helped me out. What a blessing it would have been to have a podcast that I could make up my work without falling behind.
Another point she made was that it is a cool way to have interactive communication. Having a podcast in a classroom or for a class would be the neatest way for students to communicate with each other about what they are learning. They could also compare what they are learning with other students around the world. That would be the neatest thing!


Another favorite was the Education Podcasting network. This site was very informative! I liked how they had such a wide variety of podcasts to choose from. While I was going through some of them, I realized how useful this site will be when I do become a teacher.
In a way, I hope that the school that I teach at is not very technology literate so that I can come in with fresh ideas and help those teachers explore this new world as I am doing and will continue to do. I realize that I still have a lot to learn and I'm sure there are many teachers at the school where I will end up that are technology literate, but how cool would it be to walk into somewhere new and be able to teach something to teachers? We could all learn together! I think using podcasts and this website will help us learn more about what other schools are doing so we can better our students learning.


I absolutely loved the Eagle Nest Radio website. Those kids did a fantastic job on their podcasts! I think it would be so much fun to do that with my class. The way that kids think amazes me! I'm sure some of those kids came up with what they were going to do without the teacher's help. That is amazing! I think it is really cool that the teacher thought to do it this way. It allows the students to learn and have fun while learning.
I think it is imperative that students have fun while learning. I do believe there is a time to be serious, but I also believe there is a time for kids to be kids. If they make a mess but are learning and having fun while doing it, then my job is complete. I want to encourage my students to learn and by making fun podcasts like this one, that is definitely possible.


I think the site "100 Ways to Use Your Ipod to Learn and Study Better" was incredibly helpful. I have an ipod, which I honestly do not use that often, but after going through this website, it makes me want to go find it and start downloading! I think it is cool that you can download a program to help you learn to speak Spanish. There are many different things on this website to go through and see what is beneficial to you.
The two tutorials were very beneficial. Like I said before, I have not been introduced to podcasts before. I knew what they were, but I have never listened to one and actually enjoyed it or paid attention. Learning how to create my own is very interesting. I am thankful that there are people out there who take the time to help those of us who are not technologically literate to become this way.


I found each of these sites very helpful and interesting. I am eager to learn more about podcasting and the many variations that are available!

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    You make a great point ... I can come in with fresh ideas and help those teachers explore this new world as I am doing and will continue to do. That is so wonderful that you want to take what you learn here and pass it on to others. That is true learning! You impressed me when you and I learned together how to post to Youtube and you were so eager and patient to learn. You are going to make a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete