Sunday, July 25, 2010

Good-Bye EDM310, It Really Has Been Great

EDM310 has been an overwhelming but effective experience. The first day of class I thought I was going to throw up. Dr. Strange was using words that I had never heard of and really never thought about, such as being a technologically literate teacher. I knew what each of those words meant separately, but when they were put together in the same sentence my mind drew a blank. This caused me to become really nervous. When he asked the question, do you think it is important for teachers to be technologically literate, I answered to myself, "I don’t know." Moving forward through this class has taught me that it is very important for all teachers to be technologially literate. Our society is quickly moving with technology and soon the students will know more than the teachers. This simply can’ t happen.

This class challenged me to learn for myself. Before EDM4310 I had never blogged, made a wordle, or made a movie. I am so glad that this class is required because I learned so much. I am more confident in myself after taking this class. It made me get out of my comfort zone to create things such as a blog that I didn’t really think were important. Now I know I was wrong.

If I were to give advice to upcoming classes I would tell them to figure things out for yourself. That is the best way of learning because you will remember it better if you figure it out. Also, come to class. I learned so much by working with others and listening to all of the ideas that my classmates had. Make sure that you do your work on time. Dr. Strange isn’t joking when he says it will be exremely hard to catch up wen you fall behind. Several classmates did fall behind and hearing their stories of how stressed they were or how they didn’t get any sleep the night before made me thankful that I took his advice. Lastly, take a deep breath and have fun with this class. It gives you an opportunity to be creative and explore what other teachers around the world are doing. I loved watching videos and reading things that other teachers posted or made. Using the information that I learned in my classroom will help me to become a better teacher for my students. I am excited for the day when I will be able to teach my students how to use technology to better their learning experience.

Thank you Dr. Strange, Anthony, Jamie Lynn, Mr. Sullivan, and Mr. Tashbin for all you did for us!

1 comment:

  1. You are welcome.

    "...the students will know more than the teachers. This simply can’ t happen." It has already happened. Just look at how much the students in EDM310 have added to the course. None of us can know it all. We must be constant, lifelong learners!

    I am glad you didn't throw up. And I am delighted with the advice you have offered the new EDM310 students. I will call you advice to their attention. I hope they will listen.

    Thoughtful, appropriately concise, well written.

    Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete